Paying for one’s divorced wife’s expenses during her iddah period

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: If 2 people are divorced. The girl moves to another town. The ex husband tells his ex brother in law to ask a mufti in his area twice to ask how much iddah money I have to give. But he doesnt ask and says its ok about the money. But I said, no I have to give as its my right. Then he says ok. Do I still have to give? As my ex brother in law is a moulana and he knows its the right of the ex husband to give iddah money. He still didnt ask a mufti. But I gave for 1 month.


A: You must pay for her expenses during the iddat.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!