1

Can the husband force his wife to wear the Niqab

Answered by: Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Question:

Assalamualaikum...I did nikah to a girl who stays in Canada along with her parents as rukhsati is still left. She wears scarf along with western dresses when she go out for job...As she is still in her parent's custody, Can I force her to do purdah? Can I stop her from doing job? In which issues can I force her? What is best way to convince her?

Answer

The first thing I would like to say is that if you knew that this woman was working before you got married or that she was not wearing the Niqab then why didn’t you raise an objection then? You could have stipulated she should give up her job otherwise you would not be marrying her.

Try to explain to her in a sweet and beautiful way the importance of women wearing the Niqab and that women are the queen of the household and there is no need for them to work as Islam places a right on the husband to financially support her.

Only Allah Knows Best

Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.