Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Muftionline.co.za » Feeling ashamed of one’s past

Feeling ashamed of one’s past

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: I am really worried about something which I did 1-2 year ago. I was 16 years old and sexted with a married woman. She sent me a photo of her breasts twice. I felt so guilty and sick of myself and cut all contact with her. I am ashamed of what I did. My imaan wasn’t that strong back then. I am a born muslim and I just remembred about it today. I think first time was one night in the holy month of Ramazan and second time later. What should I do? Will Allah Ta’ala forgive me for my shamefull sin? 


A: Sincerely repent to Allah Tala for this major sin that you have committed and make a firm resolve that you will never ever repeat this sin in the future. Break off all contact with the woman you had gotten involved with. You should make an effort to reform your life. Ensure that you safeguard yourself in the future from all areas of doubt and sin so that it does not become a means for you slipping and falling into the sin again. If you still have the pictures of the woman you committed the sin with stored on your phone or computer etc, then in order for your tawba to be accepted, you are required to immediately delete it. May Allah Tala keep you firm on the path of guidance and save you from earning his displeasure.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: