Q: Please issue a ruling on the following:
(1) Females travelling to a foreign country for the purpose of observing Nafl I’tikaaf in a hall.
(2) Females travelling to a foreign country for the purpose of observing Nafl I’tikaaf in someone’s house.
(3) Females observing Nafl I’tikaaf in a hall owned and operated by the local Hindu Association.
(4) Females eating the leftover food of their (ghair-mahram) Shaykh for the purpose of Tabarruk.
(5) Females being giving the clothing items of their living (ghair-mahram) Shaykh for the purpose of Tabarruk.
(6) Females having casual, non-Islaahi, conversations from behind a screen with their (ghair-mahram) Shaykh in the presence of others.
(7) A female travelling to Western secular Universities for giving bayaans to the female students of the Western secular University.
(8) A Shaykh of Tasawwuf buying a packet of sweets and sending it, as a gift, for a female mureed when she qualifies as a Hafizah. The gift is sent with a male mahram of the female mureed.
1 – 3. We are not in agreement with all this.
4. They should refrain from this’tikaaf
5. This should also be avoided.
6. This is not in keeping with shame and modesty.
7. This is not at all in keeping with the style of the righteous people of the past.
8. This should also be avoided.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)