Whats the ruling on sex dolls and does it fall under the ruling of zina?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
The using of sex dolls is impermissible. Even though it does not fall under the ruling of Zinaa (fornication), it will involve masturbation, which is Haraam.
Moreover our Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) has mentioned, ‘Modesty is part of Imaan (faith).’ Hence it is necessary to adopt modesty and refrain from immoral traits and habits at all times.
Regarding the use of Sex toys, their use is permissible with the following conditions:
- It should not cause any internal or external-harm to the body
2. It should not contain any haraam ingredients,
3. It should not be inserted into the inner-private part of the women, rather such toys should be used that stimulate the outer private parts, such as the clitoris.
4. It should only be used in foreplay and in order to enhance the act of intercourse, not to substitute it.
5. It should not be used so often that it becomes an integral part of the intercourse, so much so that the spouse then cannot gain sexual gratification without it.
6. One should also ensure that he does not commit any Haraam act when acquiring these toys nor should he go to any places of Haraam, such as adult gift shops. Even though one will be going for a valid reason, he is sure to look at Haraam pictures and others who see him enter will probably entertain evil thoughts about him.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mufti Arshad Ali
Darul Iftaa, Jaamia Madinatul Uloom (Trinidad)
 الفتاوى الهندية – ط. دار الفكر (2/ 170)
الِاسْتِمْنَاءُ حَرَامٌ وَفِيهِ التَّعْزِيرُ
This answer was collected from Fatwa-tt.com, which is operated by the Darul Iftaa of Jaamia Madinatul Uloom (Trinidad and Tobago) under the advice and guidance of Mufti Ebrahim Desai (Daamat Barakaatuhum) of South Africa.