Paying fidya for missed fasts of a deceased person.

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q. If a person has died, can someone give kafarah on her behalf for the fasts she has missed? If so, then what will be the amount for each fast missed?

A. When one misses the compulsory fasts, then it is essential upon him/her to make up for these fasts as soon as possible in one’s life time. If the state of the person is such that they fear that death may overtake them before making up for the fasts, then it is essential upon this person to make a will, stating that his inheritors must pay fidya for the missed fasts. If this was not done, then the person will be sinful. In this case, the inheritors or other family members can give a fidya in lieu of each fast missed by the deceased person.

The amount to be given for each fast missed is 4 3/4 lbs. of flour, wheat, raisins or its equivalent in money.

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Waseem Khan

This answer was collected from, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!