As Salaam Alaikum,
I hope you can help me. My husband earns by gambling. I know that if the food bought on Haram money, it is also Haram to eat it. I am afraid to give food to my husband, because all the money in our house from gambling, I know that I can use this money for my need, but husbands can‘t.
- If I give food to him bought from his gambling money won‘t this be assisting in sin?
- Can I buy him clothes on this money? If he asks me to buy them? Or to do anything else for him on this money, example pays for some services?
- Can I iron his clothes bought on Haram money?
- My husband was very angry that I don‘t give him food, I worry that there will big stress and quarreling.
Wa Alaikum As Salaam,
Gambling is totally Haram (unlawful) in Islam, and monies obtained from it are all unlawful. These must be given to the poor and needy.
Just as it is Haram to be used by your husband, so too, it is Haram for you to use the monies earned from gambling for yourself and your needs, and for other members of the family.
Gambling is a grave sin in Islam, which brings about a grievous punishment. As such, your husband must stop gambling and look for a job which brings a Halal income.
The answers to your questions are:-
- You cannot use the monies earned from gambling to purchase food for your husband and for yourself. Besides assisting in sin, the money itself is Haram since it is obtained through sin. It is termed as ill-gotten wealth and must be given out to the poor and needy.
- You cannot buy clothes for him with this money, nor can you purchase other things with it. You also cannot pay for services with that money.
- You can iron his clothes which were bought with that money, since it does not amount to using any part of the money.
Your husband may become angry if you do not use the money to spend on him, but you must understand that you cannot compromise on matters that are totally Haram in Islam. Keep on speaking to your husband about this matter and get others like Imams/scholars to speak to him so that he may stop this Haram act of gambling.
And Allah Knows best
Mufti Waseem Khan
This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.