Can a female travel without a Mahram?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

As Salaamu Alaikum,

I have been accepted to do maritime operations- navigation programme. This means I will be traveling alot, and I will be traveling without a mahram, is this permissible?

Wa Alaikum Assalaam,

الجواب و بالله التوفيق

The Prophet (S.A.S) has clearly instructed that a woman must not undertake a journey except that she has her Mahram with her or her husband. Therefore, if you must undertake such travels which amount to 48 miles and more, then it will not be permissible for you except that you have a Mahram or your husband. If the journey is less than this amount, then it is allowed for you to do such travels.

And Allah Knows Best.

Mufti Waseem Khan.

1/9/16.

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulUloomTT.net