Question: Assalamu Alaikum,
1. Is the ex son in law Mahram to his mother in law?
2. Can she continue calling and talking to him whenever she wants? over the phone or in person?
3. What if the husband tells her she can’t talk to him? Should she obey or should he compromise?
Answer: Assalamu Alaikum,
- Yes, the ex son in law is a Mahram to his ex mother in law.
- Although, she is a Mahram, she should not be calling and talking to him whenever she wants. If there is a need, then she can do so.
- If the husband tells her that she cannot talk to the ex son in law then she must listen to him. The Mahram relation that exists between the ex son in law and he ex mother in law is not on account of being a blood tie (in being kith/kin). Instead, it occurred on account of marriage to the daughter. As such, ‘not speaking’ to the ex son in law does not amount to severing ties and ‘not maintaining family ties’. In fact, there is no family ties or relation that exist between the ex son in law and ex mother in law. The Mahram relation here, simply means that marriage can never come about between both of them. Hence, one should not take the Mahram relation to mean that there should continue to be an open relation of talking and continuous interaction and association between the ex son in law and ex mother in law.
And Allah Knows Best.
Mufti Waseem Khan.
This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.