1

Keeping the name Muhammad Haashir

Answered by: Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Question:

We are thinking to put our baby boy name Mohammed Hashir but bit confused about the meaning of Hashir(who gathers people).

Do you think we should keep this name for our boy?

If yes then what will be the impact of this name(specially it’s meaning) on our baby’s personality?

Answer

It is permissible to keep the name Muhammad Haashir. Haashir is one of the names of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) as mentioned in the hadith of Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim.

The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said: “I have several names. I am Muhammad, and I am Ahmad, and I am al-Maahi (the eraser) by means of whom Allah erases kufr, and I am al-Haashir (the gatherer) at whose feet the people will be gathered, and I am al-‘Aaqib (the last) after whom there will be no other.” (Sahih Bukhari & Sahih Muslim)

Furthermore, Saaiduna Anas raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) has narrated that the Prophet of Allah ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said: “Use my name but do not use my kunya.”  (Sahih Bukhari & Sahih Muslim)

Ibn Qayim has said that there is a link between the naming of the child and its personality. Inshallah we hope in Allah that your child will be a means of gathering people to good and towards Allah’s Deen.

Only Allah Knows Best

Written by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham.

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.