Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askmufti.co.za » Mehr and Divorce

Mehr and Divorce

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askmufti.co.za

Q: If husband and wife have been separated for over 2 years without success at reconciliation and the girl’s parents ask for her talaaq (divorce), what is the ruling regarding her Mehr (dowry) money?

A. The Mahr belongs to her. She will not return it to the husband after Talaaq. If he did not pay it as yet, he will have to still pay it.

Moulana Yusuf Laher
Checked by: Mufti Siraj Desai

This answer was collected from AskMufti.co.za, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Siraj Desai of Darul-Uloom Abubakr, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: