How do i ask for a khula from my husband?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

I had a Nikah back in my country about less than a year ago, we have not lived together and shortly after nikah I left the country. When we got Nikkah he didn’t give the mahr because they wanted to do that at ruksakti.

I’m wanting to get Khula from him because I’m not happy with the nikah and I was scared into getting nikah by my mom, thinking that I will never get married if I don’t say yes. He is not able to support me financial at all and the wait time of ruksakti seems to keep increasing. I don’t think I can wait 3 years especially if I believe it Won’t work between us.

How would I get Khula from him if we r in different country?

And what if he doesn’t agree to Kula, what I can do in that case?


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

If you do not wish to continue the marriage, you should state this to your husband and request him to divorce you. If he refuses, offer him Khula in which you will forfeit the mehr that is due to you.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Saleem Khan

Student Darul Iftaa
Bradford, UK

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

This answer was collected from, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Ebrahim Desai from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!