Mufti sahib hopes this email reaches you in great health and prosperity. I have a very important question regarding Albaraka bank. I have been working for the bank for a number of years, in the past two to three years there has been a lot of statements concerning the bank. I read a new website called www.albshariahcompliance.co.za and found your name as someone to contact regarding any queries on banking or financial issues. I found it important to ask you about this since we follow you and the Jamiat KZN in our everyday life. We as staff members have been banned from going on to this website by management. They have blocked off the access to this site and they claim that it is just lies from mischief makers.
My questions are:
Is my earning Halaal if I work for Albaraka? I only do opening of new investments accounts and try to help clients, will I also be punished if we deal in interest?
Is the information true on the website: www.albshariahcompliance.co.za ?
Who is Moulana Saleemullah Khan?
What are the different opinions in this case of Albaraka being Shariah compliant or not?
Can I work for any other bank or not?
Who will be responsible for our wrong if any?
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
The answers to your questions follow.
1. We have studied the workings and contracts of Al Baraka bank in detail, and have come to the conclusion that their dealings are not in conformance to the Shariah. We therefore advise you to seek an alternative employment.
2. We have not had the opportunity to read the entire contents of the site, nor do we have the time to do so. Hence we cannot offer any conclusive comment.
3. Hazrat Maulana Saleemullah Khan Saheb is one of the most senior Ulama in . He is a special and distinguished student of Hazrat Maulana Maseehullah (rahmatullah alayhi). Hazrat is also the founder of Jamia Farooqia, one of the largest Daarul Ulooms in . For more details refer to http://www.farooqia.com/.
4. We are not aware of any difference of opinion regarding Al Baraka Bank. Many Ulama in have voiced their concerns around the bank, for example, Mujlisul Ulama, Mufti M S Motara Saheb (Mufti of Azaadville Daarul Uloom), Mufti A K Hoosen of
Assuming for argument sake that there is a ‘difference of opinion’ on the issue, then at bare minimum the earnings of the bank will be mashkook (doubtful). It is a demand of Shariah that we abstain from mashkook income.
5. It is not permissible to work for any Bank where one is promoting the Haraam activities of the Bank.
To this we wish to add a subtle point that requires a mature and developed level of understand. We should not be understood or misquoted as far as this nuance is concerned.
To work for any other commercial bank, such as Standard Bank for example, would be better of that working Al Baraka Bank. Both are evil as both deal with interest. However, the important difference is that the one working for Standard Bank knows deep down in his heart he is doing wrong, and does not justify his actions. Therefore there is hope that he will one day make Taubah (repent) and correct his ways. On the other hand, the one working for Al Baraka thinks what he is doing is correct, and even tries to justify his wrong. When will he ever get the good fortune of ever repenting?
Taken from this angle, working for Al Baraka Bank is far worst of than working for any other conventional bank, despite both being Haraam.
6. While the management and advisers are primarily to be blamed, your liability is in no way diminished. Now that you are aware of the truth, you have a duty to act and cannot expect to pass on the blame.
We make Dua Allah Ta’ala grants you and all of us Halaal Tayyib sustenance. Do also remember us in your Duas.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
(Mufti) E. Vawda
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah