Under what conditions is a widow allowed to do a job. What should be the environment of the work place? Answer in details.
1. A widow is allowed to work if she has absolutely no one else to sustain her, e.g. her father, brother, uncles or any other close relative.
2. If she has the ability and the necessary qualifications, her first option would be to work from home.
3. If this is not possible, then adopting complete Hijaab, she may venture into the workplace.
4. The environment at work should be such that there is absolutely no intermingling of the sexes.
5. Interaction with males should be restricted to dire necessity only.
and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai