Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » About taking out the faals from Quran.

About taking out the faals from Quran.

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

My family is looking for a girl for my marriage. They are meeting a family these days for this purpose. We took out a faal from Quran. First time we did not get the answer and 2nd time faal turned out to be very good. The approximate translation of the verse was that “it is good for your wealth and for your lives if you understand (or if you think)” (i dont remember the last part of the vesre). Now it looks like there can be some complications in this match and it can happen that this marriage might not be possible. I am a little worried after taking out the faal and finding it as compulsory for me to marry that girl as the faal came out very good. However, there are some issues in my mind as well due to which I am not very comfirtable in marraying that girl. Please help me that what should I do? InshaAllah Allah Ta’ala will reward you for helping me.

Answer

The practise of taking faal (omen) from the Qur’aan to decide on future events have no basis in Shari?ah. If it had, Rasulullah [Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] would have ordered that or practised on that. The Sahaaba [Radhiallaahu anhum] would have at least practised on that.

Rasulullah [Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] taught us two ways to make important decisions. One is to make Istikhaara (seek divine guidance). Kindly find attached article on Istikhaara. The other is Mashura (consultation). You should not feel it compulsory to marry the girl based on the faal as that has no basis in Shari?ah. Make Mashwara and Istikhaara and decide through that.