Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » I acepted Islam 1 year ago. I have been married to a non-Muslim for 5 years. A Muslim man has asked me to marry him. Is this halal? Can I marry him while awaiting divorce from my non-Muslim husband?

I acepted Islam 1 year ago. I have been married to a non-Muslim for 5 years. A Muslim man has asked me to marry him. Is this halal? Can I marry him while awaiting divorce from my non-Muslim husband?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

I am still living with my non-muslim husband, because I am not sure what to do. A Sunni Muslim has asked me to consider being his wife and said that I can marry him even though I am still married to my non-muslim husband. My non-Muslim husband refuses to divorce me. Please advise me on what to do and what is halal.

Answer

Your marriage with the non-Muslim has terminated upon three menses (or three
months if not experiencing menses) after accepting Islam.

It is prohibited for you to stay with him. You should separate from him
immediately. You may consider the proposal of the Muslim man and marry him
immediately if you wish to.

FATWA DEPT.