Rental Contract

Assalamualikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu Muftisab,

My name is Shoaib and I have taken a flat for lease for three years by paying Rs 20 lakhs and a monthly cost/maintainance of Rs 3000 to the owner.

The monthly rental is Rs 20,000 which I cannot afford and hence gave a security high deposit.

(The huge deposit was given by my mother as she sold my father’s property)

Please clarify if this act of staying in home of lease/mortgage is hallal or haraam.

Also advice me an alternate way of staying in this flat as I have already given the money to owner and he is not willing to return money so soon.

Regards,

Shoaib

Answer

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuhu

We understand the monthly rental of Rs 20 000. Explain the reason for the 3000 monthly payment. What maintenance is that for? We do not understand the reason for the 20 lakhs. Why is paid? Is it a norm? Explain the reason.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Ismail Desai,

Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved,

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.