Job Description of a Khateeb

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Albalagh.net

Job Description of a Khateeb

By Mufti Taqi Usmani

Q.) The Vice Chancellor has made a committee out of the syndicate including myself to determine the duties of a Khateeb, I will be highly grateful that you kindly guide us with the duties of a Khateeb (as an employee) in BPS-17 (Basic Pay Scale of Pakistan Government) and oblige. (Dr. Abdul-Mateen, D.I. Khan, Pakistan)

A.) In fact the Shari’ah did not prescribe any specific duties of a Khateeb except to deliver Khutba of Friday and lead prayers. However, it depends on the terms of the contract the management of a mosque agrees upon with a particular Khateeb. Both the parties may agree on the duties assigned to a Khateeb. However, the duties should preferably be relevant to the objectives of a Masjid or Madrasa and should be determined keeping in view the respectful status of a religious scholar.

This answer was collected from Albalagh.net, which is an Islamic site with Q&A and articles authored by many world renowned scholars from the Muslim world. Many of Mufti Taqi Uthmani’s fatawa in English are found exclusively on this site.

Find more answers indexed from: Albalagh.net