Is it permissible for a Muslim student to make use of a Zakaat based bursary fund to fund their university studies? 

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by TheMufti.com

Q. Im a student at UKZN and I do not have sufficient money to fund my studies. Will it be okay for me to utilize a bursary to fund my studies that is Zakaat based?

A. In principle, if you do not have in your net-possession the Nisaab amount i.e. you do not have Zakaatable assets in your net-possession excluding your liabilities which is less than the Nisaab amount, then you are a worthy recipient of Zakaat. As such, if you or any other student is a worthy recipient of Zakaat, he may accept a bursary that is Zakaat based to fund his studies.

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from TheMufti.com, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: TheMufti.com