Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » How Do I Go About Making up the Missed Prayers of the Past 7 Years?

How Do I Go About Making up the Missed Prayers of the Past 7 Years?

Question: I have missed a lot of prayers for the past 7 years. What do I do Is there a way to pay for the one I have missed?

Answer: In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate

Expiation for Missed Prayers

There is no expiation for missed prayers while one is still alive. Rather you must calculate how many prayers you have missed to the best of your ability. Thereafter you should strive to make up those prayers.

It may seem like a daunting task but if you take a couple or a few prayers per day you will eventually finish and be freed from that responsibility.

Some scholars have even advised that in place of the sunna prayers one should instead pray the makeup prayers. For example, instead of praying the four units of sunna before dhuhr prayer, make up a past dhuhr prayer. This way one is not expending extra time making up missed prayers.

Ref: [Ibn ‘Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]

Hope this helps
Allahu A’alam

[Shaykh] Yusuf Weltch

Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Shaykh Yusuf Weltch is a graduate from Tarim; a student of Habib Umar and other luminaries; and authorized teachers of Qur’an and the Islamic sciences.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Please comment on the following situation; A muslim couple is living in Holland and are getting 1300 euro’s (each month) as their income, they have 2 children (the husband is working and the woman is a housewife, she don’t works and takes care of the children) They are married according to the Islamic principles and also as married registered in Holland (in the register of marriages). Now the muslim couple is divorcing for fake on-paper so that the woman will get a social security salary of approx. 1100 euro’s (each month) So they are divorced for fake on-paper and the man has on-paper a other home-addres, and the woman gets 1100 euro’s of social security salary (each month) because on-paper she lives as a divorced woman with 2 children alone in a house. Ofcourse in reality the couple continiues to live together in one house, and the aim of the fake-divorce was to get money. Whereas they had 1300 euro’s (each month) as their income, now because of the fake divorce they get 1300 euro 1100 euro = 2400 euro’s (each month) as their total income. Is it aloud for a muslim to do like this? Will the money received extra each month from the fake divorce be Halaal? (I asked one person about it and he said; The money will be Haraam, and they are also not aloud to live together i.e. its also Haraam, there marriage was annulled (according islam) since there fake-divorce) Please comment on this as I know people who are doing like this and I want to inform them about it.