Answer by Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat
Question: What is the best order to study the step-one courses?
Answer: Wa ‘alaykum as-salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh
I pray you are well.
The step one courses are best studied in the following order:
1. Absolute Essentials of Islam (Hanafi or Shafi’i)
2. What Muslims Believe and Why: Dardir’s Kharida al-Bahiyya
3. How Islam Works: What is Religion, and How It Is Preserved, Transmitted, and Interpreted
4. On Worship (Purification, Prayer, Fasting, Zakat, and Hajj) – Hanafi, or Shafi’i
5. On Spirituality: Living the Sunna, Leaving Sin, and Acquiring Good Character: Ghazali’s Beginning of Guidance
6. Living Right: Halal and Haram and Living Prophetic Excellence (Hanafi or Shafi’i).
7. On Spirituality: Living the Sunna, Leaving Sin, and Acquiring Good Character: Ghazali’s Beginning of Guidance
The supplementary, self-study courses can be taken in any order. Whatever works best for you.
We only provide these courses in English, but you are welcome to study them elsewhere in Arabic if you have the opportunity. We also have a number of courses in Arabic in our Arabiyya catalog.
For spirituality, in addition to the courses in this step, there are a number of courses in our On-Demand library. Please consult those. You ask to contact your course instructor for more information.
I hope that helps. May Allah bless you with the best of both worlds.
[Shaykh] Abdul-Rahim Reasat
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani