Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Is Taking the Pill Haram If It Is for a Medical Reason?

Is Taking the Pill Haram If It Is for a Medical Reason?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat

Question: Assalamu alaykum

I have to take a strong medication which requires also taking the anti-baby-pill, because otherwise a potential baby could be harmed. I am not married, therefore taking the pill would not even be for the use of preventing a pregnancy, but unfortunately this is what my doctor requires. I would like to ask, if taking the pill for the reason meantioned is haram or not?

Answer: Wa ‘alatkum as-salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh

I pray you are well.

Taking the contraceptive pill is permissible for a married lady if her husband agrees, seeing as they both have a say in having children. For someone who is not in such a relationship taking it would also be permissible. You can proceed with the treatment plan your doctor has prescribed you. (Salah Abu al-Hajj, al-Bayan).

May Allah bless you with the best of both worlds.

Wassalam,
[Shaykh] Abdul-Rahim Reasat

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.