Q: I have a few doubts regarding a woman’s impurity after child delivery. I request you to please provide all answers with references so that I can educate my wife and other dependent ladies at my home
1. Exactly how long does a woman remain impure after child delivery? There is an old woman’s saying that 40 days is the minimum period. If a woman’s bleeding stops after 7 days, but she has irregular bleeding every alternate day or once in 3 days, what will the period be?
2. After the impurity period, can she do everything like praying, reading Quran and physical relationship with her husband?
3. Does she have to make up for the missed prayers during her impurity?
1. If a woman experiences nifaas for the first time, if she bled for the entire forty day period or more, her nifaas will be regarded as forty days regardless of whether the bleeding was continuous or in intervals. If she bled for less than forty days, her nifaas cycle will be for the number of days she bled regardless of whether the bleeding was continuous or in intervals.
2. During the days of nifaas, she will neither perform salaah nor enjoy intimacy with her husband. Once the nifaas ends, she will make ghusal and commence performing salaah. She will not make qadha of the salaahs missed during nifaas.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Zakaria Makada
Checked & Approved:
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)