Female friends travelling for a holiday without a mahram

Q: One of my cousins and her friends are planning to go on a holiday, which requires 1.5 hours to 3 hours flight journey and staying there for 7 days in a friend’s known family guest house.

My question is, can they travel without a mahram? They are taking the fact that a woman can travel from one safe place to another.

A: It is not permissible for a woman to travel for the distance of 78 km or more without a mahram. The Hadith which prohibits a woman from travelling without a mahram is general. Hence, it will also apply to this case.