Returning the mahr in khula’

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: My wife wants a divorce from me. I gave her 7 tola mahr and some gold. If my wife want divorce from me, will she have to give me back the mahr and gold? 


A: If you do khula with her on the mahr amount, then she will have to return the mahr amount to you. Upon you accepting the khula, your nikaah will be terminated.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!