Living with one’s mother after childbirth when husband is abroad

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I gave a birth to a child and my husband is abroad. I’m living in my mother’s place. My husbands family are living in another place. I feel my mother’s place is comfortable for me. My in laws never take care of me and they never helped me in anything. They used to always fight and tell me that they will tell my husband to divorce me. There are too much troubles. This is my first child birth and it is hard to do things alone so I’m staying in my mother’s place. My mother helps me and she washes all the dirty cloths of mine and my child’s. She take care of my child also and does all my things. Now I have bleeding also I feel I should stay in my mother’s care. But my husband troubles me to stay with my in laws, so I explained the situation of my in laws but he don’t want to listen to me. What should I do?


A: As long as he is around you live with him, and in his absence you live with your parents where you are safe and you feel mentally and physically easy and comfortable.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics: