Communicating with a non-mahram

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: From the first day of my college I started talking to a girl in my class. We met everyday and talked about many things. We also chatted on the phone. Days passed and she opened up about her personal life. Her parents got divorced when she was in 4th grade. After 2 years her mother passed away. She’s the only child of her parents. After that she was adopted by her maternal uncle and since then she’s living with him and his family. We discussed about religion also and she, being a christian, I told her about Islam. College closed for 10 days for holidays. After holidays, classes started again and I started ignoring her. Whenever I see her, I try to run from her. I don’t even look at her. But today, while I was sitting in the corner of the class, she came up to me and said: “Why are you ignoring me? Did you forget about me?” and she went away. I felt that she was hurt. What should I do? I try my best not to get emotionally attached to someone because in the past I was hurt by getting attached to someone. As a point of sympathy… I feel that I must talk to her.Please suggest some remedy!


A: These thoughts are from shaitaan. This is the way shaitaan misleads a person and causes him to fall into sin. It is not permissible for a male to speak or to be in contact with a non mahram female. Make sincere tawba for getting close to this non muslim girl and befriending her. Immediately stop all communication with this girl and ignore these feelings and thoughts.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics: