Relative speaking behind one’s back

Q: My question is if a friend who is a relative also speaks wrong about me behind me and fights with me often on very petty issues and always tries to find a reason to show me down. Is it haraam to stop talking to such a person? I have cut the contacts with her because I can’t take it every now and then. Please guide.

A: Keep a distance from her but be polite towards her and do not cut off ties. When meeting her, do not get involved in any serious discussion. Keep your heart clean at all times, overlook her weaknesses and make dua for her.