Boy marrying a girl without his parents consent

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: A boy married a older girl without the consent of his parents in the presence of two male witnesses. Now if he wishes to tell his parents about it and they ask him to divorce the girl, will that be correct? Just because they against him marrying someone older and a few people in the family have spoken ill of the girl thus making his parents believe she isn’t a good girl. Does he have to follow his parents and divorce the girl or should he remain married?


A: I feel that if he is already married then he does not need to disclose this information, and if his parents do advise him then he could make it appear as though she is younger than him.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest