Can I Masturbate if it Stops Me From Fornication?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Mathabah.org

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat

Question:

Is Masturbation allowed if it stops me from committing the actual act of zina?

Answer:

Jazak Allah Khayr/ Thank you for your question.

Both fornication and masturbation are sinful, harmful and detrimental to one’s spirituality and physical well being. One should avoid all sin and not try to justify a sin as being less detrimental.

Almighty Allah states,

“Success is really attained by the believers …. who guard their private parts except from their wives or from those (bondwomen who are) owned by their hands, as they are not to be blamed. However, those who seek (sexual pleasure) beyond that are the transgressors” (Quran 23:1-7)

One should do what ever it takes to avoid both fornication and masturbation, including:

• Be punctual with Islamic injunctions such as prayer, dhikr and duas
  • Abstain from all forms of obscenity, pornography and sinful interaction
  • Fast constantly
  • Get married

May Allah Almighty keep us all protected with morality, modesty and guidance.

And Allah Knows Best

This answer was collected from Mathabah.org. It’s an Islamic educational institute based in Canada. The questions are generally answered by Sheikh Yusuf Badat and Sheikh Omar Subedar.

Find more answers indexed from: Mathabah.org