Muslim men sitting while passing urine

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

Q. Can you please advise whether it is mandatory for Muslim men to always sit whilst passing urine in a toilet. I work in an office environment and try to use lots of water during the day and sometimes it becomes very impracticable for me to use the restroom in such a manner, although I do take alot of precautions to avoid drops spilling on clothing etc. I do know Islam is not about us trying to make things adopt to our daily lifestyles but rather Islam should be inculcated as part of our lifestyles instead. As such, I am willing to work with the proposition which is prescribed.

A. It is not mandatory for Muslim men to always sit while passing urine. It is permissible to stand also. Sitting for this purpose has many benefits, along with being the established Sunnah of the Prophet (SAS). However, it is allowed to stand when there are good reasons. In all cases, one must take the necessary precaution to avoid the drips of urine from falling on his clothing or on his body.

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Waseem Khan

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulUloomTT.net