Marrying someone in another country.

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

Q. I have interest to marry a sister outside of USA living in another country. I want to know can we marry by Proxy or Islamic Proxy because I cannot travel to her right away.

A. Yes, it is permissible for you to appoint someone as your legal representative, who will be in the gathering where the consent and acceptance is being made. This person who must be known to the two witnesses as your representative will either make the proposal (on your behalf) to marry the girl, or may accept (on your behalf) the proposal of the girl in front of two male Muslim witnesses.

It is also allowed for the girl to appoint a representative who will come to you to contract her marriage. In this case, the representative will act on behalf of the girl, to either make a proposal to you or give the acceptance to your proposal. This must be done in the gathering of two male Muslim witnesses.

In either case, the representative must be officially delegated and authorized by the relevant party to contract the marriage. Mahr (Dowry) must also be fixed and given, based on the agreement of both parties.

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Waseem Khan

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.