Naming A Child By The Name ‘Muhammad’ Alone

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

Question:

Assalaamu Alaikum Mufti,

I have a son who I named Muhammd. I was recently informed however that I cannot place the name Muhammad by itself as it is unique to the prophet (PBUH) an as such anothername has to go with it for e.g. Muhammad Ishmaeel or Muhammad Jibraeel.

The individual indicated a lengthy reason as to why but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing and not causing offense to Allah (SWT) and the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH.

Thank You.

Answer:

Wa Alaikum Salaam Wa Rahmatullah.

There is no harm in having the name Muhammad alone. Toghether with this name, there would be the family title also, so it would not stand alone. For example, if the family title is Ali, then your son’s name would be Muhammad Ali or Muhammad Khan etc.

And Allah Knows best

Mufti Waseem Khan

27/01/2015

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulUloomTT.net