Is there a Hadith or any explanation in the Quran about gifts that we give to our children?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Darulihsan.com

Ref:hib005/07

October 2007

Q: Is there a Hadith or any explanation in the Quran about gifts that are given to our children as parents? What are  my duties towards gifts given to our children? Do we have rights to give it away? I am being more specific about jewellery that was given to my daughter at birth. Can the parent have a right to give it away?

A:

If the gift was given specifically for the child as seems to be the case in jewellery given to the child, then this belongs to the child and it is not permissible for the parents to give it away. If it is in the interest of the child to sell off this jewellery the parents may sell it at a market related rate.

Mufti Shafiq Jakhura
Iftaa Department, Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

I concur with the answer:
Mufti Zubair Bayat

Ameer, Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

This answer was collected from DarulIhsan.com. It’s the official website of Darul Ihsan, which is an Islamic organisation (PBO) based in Durban, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: Darulihsan.com