1

saying talaq as a joke

Answered by: Molana Muhammad Adnan

Question:

My question is that in a fun conversation I was acting to be upset and in joke I told my husband that I am not going to talk to you anymore and our relationship is finish . Does that statement break my nikah because I was not intended to it was just in a joke . I am really upset because my husband said such statements cancel nikah please can you help me

Answer

If divorce is issued from the man, words will be enough for divorce. If divorce is issued from the woman, words are not enough and will not have an effect on the nikaah. (Qudoori, kitaabun nikaah)

Because in your scenario the words were uttered by your wife, it will not affect your nikaah, but such words should be avoided regardless.

Written by Molana Muhammad Adnan

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.