Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Darulifta-Deoband.com » How can my sister reconcile her desire to observe hijab with her husband’s opposition to it?

How can my sister reconcile her desire to observe hijab with her husband’s opposition to it?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
In 2010 my sister did her nikah with one of my cousins, at that time my sister was not much into deen and did not use to do Hijab, but now after her nikah she started to come closer to deen and now Alhamdulillah, she does Shariah purdah but the problem she faces now is that her husband does not want her to observe Hijab as he is very much into fashion. And before the nikah my sister was also of the same kind, she was too much into fashion that was one of the reasons they both liked each other and married each other. On 2011 Jan 29 in-sha-Allah, the rukhsati ceremony will be done but now my sister fears that if her husband will not allow her to wear hijab afterwards what is she going to do as she cannot let go of the hijab. Now that she knows that it is a fardh for every woman and if she observes hijab then she is not making her husband happy and that is also a major sin. Please help she is very afraid that something bad will happen and break her marriage.


(Fatwa: 66/53/D=1433)

It is fardh for women to observe Shariah purdah with strangers and non-Mahram; none is allowed to go against it.
لا طاعة لمخلوق فى معصية الخالق.
Obeying creature by disobeying Almighty Allah is unlawful.
Yes, if you are joint family and there are non-mahrams then also it is not lawful to mingle and meet in privacy, but she can come in front of them covering her body when needed. However, purdah and obedience of husband both are necessary. Convince her husband and make him ready. if he is not ready now, in future he shall be, in-sha-Allah. Ask your sister to recite the following dua:
اللهم صرف قلوبنا إلى طاعتك وثبت قلوبنا على دينك .
You should deal with the situation as per the circumstance.

Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’ala) knows Best

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Read answers with similar topics: