Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Darulifta-Deoband.com » Separate qurbani needed for 25k rupees from IIT Kanpur?

Separate qurbani needed for 25k rupees from IIT Kanpur?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
I am PhD scholar at IIT Kanpur, and I have qualified a national level exam (IRF) conducted by UGC (University Grant Commission). All the JRF qualified students get 25000 rupees per month from UGC from the day they start their PhD. But in the beginning it takes time to get money from UGC (generally 4 to 5 months). So our institute gives us 25000 per month as a lending until we get it from UGC with a condition as soon as we will get our money from UGC we will have to refund it. Now during the time of Eid al-Azha I had Rs 25000 in my account. But before getting it I made an intention to send it to my family. And my family members performed qurbani (ek hissa) and I have no separate family because I am bachelor. So do I need to perform qurbani separately. If yes, then what is the kaffarah for that. And also I want to ask you on such an income do I have to give zakah. However my income is the part of my family income because I am sending it to my family and they are paying it annually.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 248/251/B=3/1438)

You are not required to do qurbani separately. Yes, if you had Rs 28000 cash with you during the days of qurbani then in this case you shall become owner of nisab and qurbani shall be wajib on you. However, for zakah it is a condition that the wealth remains in hand in the beginning and end of the year equal to nisab.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Read answers with similar topics: