Question: Regarding zakat giving to my cousin. It is urgent. So I please request your answer as soon as possible Inshallah.
Assalamu alykum mufti sab,
I have a cousin. He is now 30 years old. His father is no more.My cousin is not yet settled and not even married because
his financial status is not good.He was doing a very small job before but now he has no job.
Though he plans to do some business he has no property, no money, no gold and nothing.So what my doubt is can I give zakat
for him to start a business.Generally there won’t be mininmum or maximum limit for starting a business. If so how much
amount can i give him. Is there any limit or can we give the sufficient amount for him to start a business. For example if
he needs one lakh Indian rupees for the business.
1. Can we give that much amount as zakat to him?
2. What i feel is he can also start a very small business like tiffin center(breakfast center selling items like idli,
dosa) or curries point (preparing and selling curries ), small chicken selling shop with an amount of Rs.30,000 to 40,000.By
doing any of these type of small businesses he can earn some money and with that money he can start any business of his
interest in future. But he is not interested in any of the above businesses. He is generally interested to start a
business which is involved in buying and selling computer hardware items because he has some idea and interest in computer
hardware side. This may require one lakh Indian rupees as investment. Can I give this much amount as zakat?
3.At present he wants to buy, sell and also istall the CC cameras with one lakh rupees investment. Is this business
allowed in Islam. Can I give zakat to this business if he requires one lakh Indian rupees?
4. At present he got a contract to install CC cameras to an automobile finance company. This company gives interest based
loans to buy automobiles. Can he accept the contract? My doubt is because this company is involved in haram transactions.
5. If CC cameras business is not allowed, can I give one lakh rupees as zakat to him to start a business of any other
computer hardware equipment?
6. The silver nisab in India is roughly around Rs.22000. Can I give zakat more than this nisab amount for my cousin’s
Respected mufti sab, this is very urgent. So, I request you to please answer my questions as soon as possible Insha
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
Please take note of the following rulings pertaining to Zakat:
1. In principle, a person qualifies as a recipient of Zakat if he does not have cash/items (excluding items of personal use) equal to or more than the Nisab amount. Items of personal use are: house, car, clothing, cell phones, laptops, books for students, appliances, furniture, etc.
2. It is disliked to give a single recipient of Zakat an amount equal to or more than the Nisab amount. However, if one does give such an amount, his Zakat will be fulfilled.
Alternatively, your brother may
- purchase the goods on credit, and you may give him Zakat equivalent to the debt incurred. Or,
- he may take a non-interest bearing loan, and you may give him Zakat equivalent to the loan.
3. The responsibility of the one discharging Zakat is to merely hand the money over to the recipient. He (the one discharging) has no right over the money once he hands the money over. The recipient is responsible to spend the money in appropriate avenues.
4. CC Cameras are used for security purposes. Hence, it is permissible to sell and install them.
5. If the company in reference is a Muslim-owned company, then as long as 50% of the income is halal, then it is permissible to work for them. If the company is non-Muslim-owned, then it is permissible to work for them in any case.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
ولا يجوز دفع الزكاة إلى من يملك نصابا من أي مال كان لأن الغني الشرعي مقدر به والشرط أن يكون فاضلا عن الحاجة الأصلية وإنما النماء شرط الوجوب (الهداية، باب من يجوز دفع الصدقة إليه و من لا يجوز)
و لا(أي لا تدفع) إلي غني يملك نصابا و من أي مال كان (ملتقى الأبحر، باب في بيان أحكام المصارف)
(و) لا إلى (غني) يملك قدر نصاب فارغ عن حاجته الأصلية من أي مال كان (الدر، باب مصرف الزكوة و العشر)
و لا يصح دفعها لكافر و غني يملك نصابا أو ما يساوي قيمته من أي مال كان فاضل عن حوائجه الأصلية (نور الإيضاح ص-١٥٥، المكتبة العصرية)
قَالَ رَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ ( وَكُرِهَ الْإِغْنَاءُ ) أَيْ يُكْرَهُ أَنْ يُغْنِيَ بِهَا إنْسَانًا بِأَنْ يُعْطِيَ لِوَاحِدٍ مِائَتَيْ دِرْهَمٍ فَصَاعِدًا وَهُوَ جَائِزٌ مَعَ الْكَرَاهِيَةِ (تبيين الحقائق/ باب المصرف)
هي تمليك جزء مال…مع قطع المنفعة عن المملك من كل وجه (تنوير الأبصار، كتاب الزكاة)
إمداد الأحكام ج-٤ ص-٣٨٦، مكتبه دار العلوم كراتشي