Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » Even though I am better-off, more literate over my wife and of high noble lineage then on what grounds can some1 pass fatwa based on Kufwu

Even though I am better-off, more literate over my wife and of high noble lineage then on what grounds can some1 pass fatwa based on Kufwu

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

A.S., In todays day of ignorance a person takes pride over another due2 his nationality e.g. An Indian sees a Pakistani inferior, A Pakistani sees a Bangladeshi inferior, A Bangladeshi sees a Burmese inferior etc. A slave equiv from India will pride over a Pakistani and so forth. I?m originally from Bangladesh, my wife is from Pakistan. My lineage is seen by others as people of high status, nobility, literacy, wealthy & those who employed & looked after the affairs of others. Basically my lineage is equal to or greater than my wifes. Me & my wife r adults, we r not Sayyids or Sheikhs. My father in law was informed a few years in advance that I wish to marry his daughter. My parents even made a formal proposal to him. His refusal to our proposal was simply due to the fact that I was not a Pakistani. As I mentioned earlier I speak fluent Urdu but my first language happens to be Bengali. My wifes brother realised this so called racism or Asabiyat that my father in law harboured against me & stood in the way of marriage. Hence he acted as Wakeel in the presence of 2 further male muslim witnesses, an imam and my wife was present with Niqab on. The marriage was conducted in a masjid. Even though I am better-off, more literate over my wife and of high noble lineage then on what grounds can some1 pass a fatwa based on Kufwu that my father in law has the SHARIAH AUTHORITY to terminate our marriage simply because I am not of the same country? Please advise..Jzk

Answer

If your wife is really not a Sayyid or a Sheikh and the wife’s brother was also present at the time of the Nikah then this marriage was correct. The wife’s father has no right to invalidate this marriage simply because she is a Pakistani and you are a Bangladeshi. You and your wife should live a good marital life and you should be good towards your in-laws. Insha Allah they will later also come to terms regarding it.

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf
DARUL IFTA ? JAMEAH MAHMOODIYAH, SPRINGS

SPECIAL PROJECT WITH DARUL IFTA, MADRASAH IN?AAMIYYAH ? CAMPERDOWN