IslamQA.org Logo

I bought a home where the bank owns the home. Monthly I pay rent and a portion to purchase the home. Can I claim the amount I still ‘owe’ as a liability against my assets when calculating zakat?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

This is a program of United Bank of Kuwait & is approved by Mufti Taqi Usmani Saheb. I paid 20% of the home price. My monthly payments to the bank inlcude rent and a portion to ofset the remaining 80%. Inshallah in 15 years the home will be mine. Please contact me if you need any clarification. Jazakallah Khair

Answer

You may regard only one year’s outstanding amount as a liability in calculating Zakat.

Was salaam

Mufti E Desai
Fatwa Dept.

Original Source Link

This answer was collected from Askimam.org, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Ebrahim Desai from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: Askimam.org
Read more answers with similar topics: