How Do I Repair Harm Done to Others?

Answered according to Shafi'i Fiqh by


How do you repair non-material harms to people with whom one no longer is in contact?


Wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Dear questioner,

Thank you for your important question.

If one has caused someone severe emotional harm but one is no longer in contact with them, it is not sufficient to merely give charity. One should try one’s best to find them and reach out to them.

For example, if someone was the cause of someone else’s divorce or drove them into depression by bullying, one should try one’s best to contact them and ask them for their forgiveness. Charity would be a very good thing to do, but it would not stand in the stead of their forgiveness.

Please also see:

I pray this helps.

[Ustadh] Farid Dingle

Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Ustadh Farid Dingle has completed extensive years of study in the sciences of the Arabic language and the various Islamic Sciences. During his studies, he also earned a CIFE Certificate in Islamic Finance. Over the years he has developed a masterful ability to craft lessons that help non-Arabic speakers gain a deep understanding of the language. He currently teaches courses in the Arabic Language.

This answer was collected from It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics: