Being alone with a female in the shop or library

Q: If a shop owner ends up being alone in his shop with a female customer, is this counted as impermissable khalwa? (although another customer might enter the shop at any time). Also, in my local library the librarian is a women and sometimes we end up being alone in the library (although others may enter at any time), what is the ruling in this case?

A: On account of the evil consequences and suspicions being created in the hearts of people, one should avoid such situations and adopt precaution by having other people present with oneself.

Q: Is it obligatory to avoid these situations or is it recommended, i.e. if I suddenly end up alone with the female librarian in the libary, will it be obligatory for me to leave the library and sinful not to do so? Because of the urf in the non-Muslim country in which I live, people enerally do not view these situations with suspicion.

A: If there is some type of seclusion, it will be compulsory.

Mufti Ebrah