Women travelling alone overseas

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I have got a question and I need an Islamic advice about it. I got married in England to my cousin 4 years ago and I’m originally from Pakistan. We had some problems in our marriage and my my husband said to me to go Pakistan then I came Pakistan 2 months ago and he divorced me on phone. Now my question is am I allowed to go back to England as I have 6 sisters and no brother. I want to help my dad financially because he have to pay debt of my in laws. I’m 24 years old and I can stay there with my friend whose husband divorced her and she is living alone.


A: After the iddat period has completed, it will be permissible for you to return to England provided there is a mahram accompanying you on the journey.

وَالْمُطَلَّقَاتُ يَتَرَبَّصْنَ بِأَنفُسِهِنَّ ثَلَاثَةَ قُرُوءٍ. ﴿البقرة: ٢٢٨﴾

حدثنا أحمد بن منيع حدثنا أبو معاوية عن الأعمش عن أبي صالح عن أبي سعيد الخدري قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم لا يحل لامرأة تؤمن بالله واليوم الآخر أن تسافر سفرا يكون ثلاثة أيام فصاعدا إلا ومعها أبوها أو أخوها أو زوجها أو ابنها أو ذو محرم منها. (ترمذي رقم 1169)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!