Q: My sister has come to know that black magic is being used to disturb and destroy her house. Her husband beats her everyday, threatens her that he’ll divorce her. He is also involved in extramarital affairs. This has been going on for the last 2 years. My sister reads Surah Baqara daily, offers 5 times prayers, and sincerely prays to Allah for relief but she has been in severe pain due to her husband’s attitude towards her. Recently she has come to know that somebody in her family is using black magic against her to destroy her relationship with her husband.
Somebody referred my sister to a guy who can destroy the black magic by using black magic. He claims that she’ll live a happy life with her husband once he is done with his magic. My sister has given him money to use black magic knowledge to destroy the black magic which is being done on her. Now my questions are:
1. What is the Shariah ruling on somebody using black magic to stop black magic?
2. Has my sister committed kufr?
3. Has my sister committed shirk?
4. If she has committed shirk by this way, is there anyway she could be forgiven by Allah?
5. Can she still go to heaven? She has been a pious woman all her life before this.
1. Generally in the making of magic, shirk is used or some haraam is employed. If any of the two elements are used in the making of magic obviously it will be totally wrong and forbidden.
2 – 4. This is a serious sin and gunah and she needs to make taubah. As a precaution, she should read the kalimah repeatedly with sincerity and beg Allah Ta`ala’s forgiveness.
5. If she makes taubah sincerely Allah Ta`ala will definitely bless her with all the good.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)
This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.