Compensating one’s mother for losing her valuables

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: When I was younger around 16 years old, I took a little gift box that I thought was empty from my fathers cupboard. When going to use it, I saw a few coloured stones that didn’t look very valuble. They fell out and I didn’t think that it was anything of value. I am not sure whether I put the stones back in some other box in the cupboard or whether they were misplaced.

Some years later my mother mentioned that she couldn’t find some precious stones of hers. I later thought that perhaps these were the stones I found but out of fear and embarrassment I never mentioned it to my mother. I would like to know that although I didn’t intentionally steal them, I just took the gift box without informing anyone as I thought it was empty, what can I do to atone for this mistake and wrong of mine? I am still afraid to speak to my mum but dont want to be sinning either. This happened about 17 years ago.


A: If you have the stones then return it, and if you don’t have them then you may compensate by giving the value.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest