Giving a bonded house and a used car as mahr

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: Is it possible to give a house bonded by the bank and a used vehicle with no idea on what the monetary value is as mahr? E.g. Maher is my house that I am living in (with a bond of 500 000.00) and my car but no mention of the value. 


A: If the person you wish to marry is pleased to accept the car and the bonded house as mahr, then it is permissible. However, the value of the house should also be agreed upon so that in the event of the bank repossessing the house due to you not paying the loan, you will have to give her the value of the house.

You should sincerely repent to Allah Ta’ala for taking an interest bearing loan from the bank due to which you had to bond the house. You should try your best to pay off the loan and save yourself from the curse of interest.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest