Changing one’s oath

Q: I have made a niyat to Allah Ta’ala and now I am unable to stick to it. I want to make some changes in that niyat. Is it possible to do so? I have heard that Sahaabah (Companions of Nabi Muhammad sallallahu alaihi wasallam)) sometime in their lives broke kasams or niyat and paid kafaraah. May Allah Ta’ala forgive me if I am wrong, let me know if there is any way so tht I can change my niyat and make things easy for me.

A: Yes, if it was not verbal.

(Scroll down for more information regarding this question)

Q: I don’t remember if I made niyat verbally or just had a thought in my mind.

A: If you are not sure whether you had taken a verbal oath or you only intended it in your mind, then this will not constitute an oath. Hence, if you go against what you had intended, kafaarah will not be compulsory upon you.