1. I would like to know who is regarded as your mahram and who do you keep pardah from? Are milk brothers and sisters classified as mahrams? What happens if the lady who fed both of them pass away?
2. Is my step brother (both from my mother and father) classified as a mahram for my daughter?
3. Can a woman travel without a Mahram and what is the sin for doing this?
4. What is the sin for talking or even touching a non-mahram?
1. For a male, among his female mahrams will be his mother, grandmother, his sister, brother’s and sister’s daughter, mother’s sister, father’s sister, grandparents’ sisters, granddaughter, mother in law, and daughter in law.
2. When you say step, if you are referring to a stranger then he is not a mahram.
3. She should not travel. It is not permissible. To break a wajib is a serious sin.
4. Just looking at a non-mahram with lust is such a serious sin it is like a poisonous arrow shooting in your heart.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)