Seeking forgiveness for gheebat

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za
Prev Question
Next Question

Q: If I am guilty for a sin but it didn’t affect a person and that person didn’t know if I tried to do something bad with him. Can I ask forginess only from Allah without telling that person. If he didn’t get any harm and he didn’t know anything about my sin. Please advise


A: Perhaps you are referring to backbiting or something of that nature. If that is the case the taubah is sufficient.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.