Wali for a Muslim who has no Muslim family members

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I was born in a Hindu family and later reverted to Islam. My family had broken all relation with me after knowing it. So I live alone and work in a company. I have received marriage proposal from a Muslim man whom I know for few years. I want to marry him but as I know, a wali is required for a woman to marry. Kindly inform me how to get married in this situation. Do I need to inform my family that I am getting married. They are already very angry after I accepted Islam. I fear that they would harm me.


A: Responsible people of the community may represent you after taking your consent.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!